While scar formation is the body’s healthy and natural way of healing a wound, scars themselves can have a negative impact on one’s appearance, causing self-consciousness. In some cases, scars can even inhibit movement and lower quality of life.
Dr. Lampert performs scar revision in Miami to improve the look and feel of scar tissue, boosting self-confidence and revitalizing your skin. He draws on a wide array of cutting-edge techniques, personalizing your treatment from start to finish.
What is scar revision?
Scar revision is a procedure -- either surgical or non-surgical -- to improve the size, placement, or texture of scar tissue. While scars can never be completely removed, scar revision in Miami with Dr. Lampert can increase comfort and help the patient to feel better about their appearance.
What are the different treatment options for scar revision?
- Topical products -- These can help fade minor scars, correcting discoloration, and improving skin textures without any downtime.
- Dermal fillers -- Dermal fillers can help fill in depressions, hiding scars in plain sight.
- Silicone-based products -- These can help improve the look and feel of scars and can assist in flattening raised skin textures.
- Steroid injections -- This option can help improve patient comfort and work to flatten the appearance of raised scars.
- Z-plasty - This procedure can be performed to decrease the size of a scar or reorient it, so it is less conspicuous. It can help improve flexibility and range of motion, allowing the patient to function at a higher level.
- Scar revision surgery -- Surgery can help reduce the scar’s length and width, making it less noticeable. Downtime will vary according to the severity of the scar and its precise location.
- Laser skin resurfacing and light-based therapies -- These treatments come with no downtime and can help modify the color, shape, and texture of scars.
What are the benefits of scar revision?
- Improves the aesthetics of the scar
- Repositions scars in a less conspicuous location
- Changes scar orientation
- Trims excess scar tissue
- Corrects poor scar texture and/or color
- Flattens raised scars
- Reduces the appearance of burns
- Restores flexibility and range of motion
- Enhances self-confidence
- Increases wardrobe options
- Surgical and non-surgical options
Who is a good candidate for the procedure?
In order to assess the best approach for treating your unique scars, Dr. Lampert will perform a thorough evaluation of your skin and will conduct a detailed review of your medical history. Surgery is not typically suggested for scars less than one year of age. However, scar revision surgery may be appropriate in certain cases, as when treating the following:
These scars are thick and raised, made from excess collagen at the site of the injury. If they do not improve on their own with time, then surgical excision may be the best plan.
Scars that form as a result of burns and those that stretch over the joints can be labeled contractures, as they typically inhibit movement and normal functioning. These scars may feel tight and uncomfortable. They can be treated by replacing the healthy tissue lost during injury.
Facial scars can cause embarrassment and may inhibit the patient socially and professionally. Scar revision surgery can remove portions of the scar tissue or reposition the scar so that it is less noticeable.
What can I expect from my recovery?
Recovery for scar revision will depend on the method used to improve the skin.
Many non-surgical options such as dermal fillers and injections come with no downtime, while revision surgery may require up to two weeks of recovery time.
After surgery patients can expect some mild swelling, bruising, and tenderness, and they will need to rest for 1-2 weeks before resuming work and other activities. Dr. Lampert will ensure each client receives a thorough aftercare plan as well as follow-up visits to ensure their recovery is progressing as planned.
Why choose Dr. Lampert?
Dr. Lampert is a board-certified plastic surgeon delivering outstanding, patient-centric care to clients in and around the Miami area. He employs a caring and compassionate approach, treating each patient as though they were a loved one or family member. Rather than seeing a high volume of clients and rushing through each consultation, Dr. Lampert prefers to take his time, giving every individual personalized attention so that he can deliver superior, natural-looking results.
Dr. Lampert underwent rigorous training, including a 6-year Plastic Surgery residency in Manhattan at the world-renowned Mount Sinai Hospital, where, in his final year, he served as the solo Chief Resident in Plastic Surgery. Dr. Lampert also completed an ACGME-accredited Fellowship in Craniofacial Surgery, studying under the distinguished past president of the Rhinoplasty Society.