Breast augmentation has become increasingly popular recently, with countless women opting for breast implants to enhance their appearance. However, just as trends change, so do personal preferences. Many women are now choosing to undergo breast explant surgery, the process of removing breast implants. If you're considering this procedure, it's crucial to understand what to expect afterward. In this blog post, we'll dive into the world of breast explant surgery and discuss the physical and emotional changes you might encounter on your journey to a more natural you.
Understanding Breast Implant Removal
Breast implant removal, often called "breast explant," is a surgical procedure designed to remove breast implants previously inserted for augmentation. There are various reasons why women choose this path. Some decide the implants no longer align with their lifestyle, while others may experience complications or discomfort.
Like any surgical procedure, breast explant surgery requires a recovery period. Expect some soreness, swelling, and bruising in the chest area immediately after the surgery. Your surgeon will provide instructions on post-operative care, including pain management and compression garments to reduce swelling.
You may have some scarring depending on the type of incision made during your breast implant removal. However, skilled surgeons such as Dr. Lampert strive to minimize scarring as much as possible. Over time, these scars typically fade and become less noticeable.
After breast explant, your breasts may appear different in shape and size than when you had implants. This is because your natural breast tissue may have changed when you had implants. Discussing your expectations with your surgeon during the consultation phase is essential to ensure you have a realistic understanding of the outcome.
Adjusting to your natural breast size can be emotionally challenging. Give yourself time to adapt to your new appearance, and remember that the size of your breasts does not define your worth.
Here are some other tips for managing your breast explant emotional recovery:
- Having a strong support system in place is invaluable during your emotional recovery
- Reach out to friends and family who can provide encouragement and understanding as you navigate this change
- If you find that adjusting to your new body image is particularly challenging, consider seeking the guidance of a therapist or counselor who specializes in body image issues and self-esteem
- Such professionals can provide valuable tools to help you build a positive self-image
Your breast health should always be a top priority, especially after undergoing breast implant removal. While the procedure is often chosen for personal or health-related reasons, it's crucial to continue caring for your breasts to ensure their well-being.
One of the most proactive steps you can take is to perform regular breast self-examinations. These exams involve feeling your breasts for any changes in size, shape, texture, or lumps or abnormalities. It's a simple yet effective way to monitor your breast health and detect potential issues early on.
Other steps include:
- In addition to self-exams, regular mammograms are an essential part of breast health maintenance, especially as you age
- Be sure to discuss the appropriate timing and frequency of mammograms with your healthcare provider, as it can vary based on your age and medical history
- If you notice any changes in your breasts, whether through self-exams or simply how they feel, it's essential to communicate this with your healthcare provider promptly
- Keep an open and ongoing dialogue with your healthcare provider about your breast health, sharing any concerns, questions, or changes you experience
- Stay informed about breast health through reliable sources
- Educate yourself about common breast conditions and what to look out for
- Being proactive and knowledgeable about your breast health empowers you to take control of your well-being
Dr. Lampert Is Here to Help
Ready to embark on your empowering journey towards embracing your natural self? Dr. Joshua Lampert is here to guide you through every step of breast implant removal, ensuring a smooth recovery and a renewed sense of comfort and confidence. Your unique experience deserves personalized care and open communication, and Dr. Lampert and his team are ready to provide just that. Contact Lampert MD Plastic Surgery today to start your empowering transformation!